Rose & Kat | S1Ep2.4 | Set a Goal and Reach for It

 PORTUGUÊS | ENGLISH

Sunday, May 26

Dear Diary,

Of all the responsibilities that Joan and I shared between us, none of them could be completed without the other being there. That was how we had planned things from the very beginning, but as time went by, we adapted the tasks to suit each of our abilities and availability.

Step by step, we learned more effective ways of making the most of our time according to the results we wanted to achieve. And, above all, we learned to trust each other’s abilities more.

We are best friends and see each other every day, but we had never worked together with this level of commitment. We had a responsibility towards Dianne, the Student Association, and the school. We needed to do a good job and, for that, we depended on each other.

We also learned a little more about how to manage our savings. Unexpected things happen and, although it may sound strange to talk about “expecting the unexpected”, it is important to take them into account, always leaving some room to deal with them.

In the small budget we put together to keep track of the money we had and the materials we needed to buy, this was one of our mistakes. We were convinced we wouldn't need any more materials.

Well... Lesson learned!

“Room for mistakes and unexpected expenses, check.”

Joan: Good morning, Rose!

Rose: Good morning, Joan! Is everything okay?

Joan had dark circles under her eyes again, as though she had spent the entire night awake.

Joan: Yes... I, uh... didn't sleep well. I brought the materials we were missing. Shall we get to work?

Rose: Wouldn't you rather get some rest?

Joan: No, no! I'm fine, really! It was just a nightmare that kept me from sleeping well. I'm ready to get to work. We have to finish as much as we can this week, because Dianne will need help next weekend. Then comes the exams week, and right after that, the fair week.

Rose: Let's do this, then.

Joan was acting a little strange. I could tell something was bothering her. Despite my attempts to figure out what was wrong, she kept insisting that everything was fine. And that made me even more worried, because there had never been any secrets between us.

Her exhaustion was obvious, but, as she had promised, Joan showed up every day. Although sewing wasn't exactly her strong suit, she helped however she could. She cut the linings, went to get materials whenever we needed them, brought us snacks... And with each passing day, we had one more outfit completed.

We reached Friday with five of the eight outfits ready. We were on schedule. Once we finished the remaining outfits, all we had left was to complete the accessories for each costume.

We could finally have a peaceful weekend. We could spend Saturday helping with whatever was needed for the Ball and the Fair, and save Sunday for an intense study session.

The week ahead will be five days of exams...

You know what's strange? Normally, I get nervous, even a little anxious, but this time I feel confident about the preparation I've done with Joan. The weekly study sessions, reviewing everything we learned every day...

“I think I'm ready to crush it during exam week!?”

In just one month, so much has changed in my routine. At this point, I still can't say for certain whether it has been for better or for worse, but something inside me has started to change.

I've never felt this confident about anything.

And ever since I started, two weeks ago, working on the opening parade for the school ball, I've felt like doing more. I feel stronger, more determined, more driven.

I didn't want to let the girls down, or the school, that's true. But deep down, I knew that strength was coming from something else.

It came from doing something that made me happy. Something that fulfilled me. Something that made me feel... like myself.

Strange, huh?!

With love, Rose

[S1Ep2.5 | You're not yourself]

[S1Ep2.3 | The Conscience of the Dreams]

Comments

Popular Posts