Rose & Kat | S1Ep2.5 | You’re Not Yourself

 PORTUGUÊS | ENGLISH

Saturday, June 1st

Dear Diary,

Today is World Children’s Day and, throughout the city, there are activities for the whole family, all designed to make this day even more special and fun!

With the preparations for the fashion show and the ball practically finished, the main task this weekend is to hand out flyers and put up posters, so that all the parents and students come and visit the displays showcasing the summer jobs and festivals.

Dianne is in charge of creating the groups and overseeing the different tasks and, naturally, we are all here to support and help her.

When Joan and I arrive at school, we check our group on the boards at the entrance to the gym and head to the meeting.

Joan has been a little agitated. I don’t know what’s going on, but she won’t say anything. This week, it seems like she hasn’t rested at all. She would arrive at school with huge dark circles under her eyes, as if begging for a few hours of sleep, and yet she still had that alert, worried look about her.

Maybe the idea of opening the ball with a fashion show now seems like too much work, especially with everything else we still have to do. And, afraid of failing to keep the commitment she made, she’d rather not say anything about it.

The looks she exchanges with me seem to be trying to tell me something, but at the same time, it’s as if she’s waiting for me to react first.

She hasn’t been herself lately, and I’m starting to get really worried!

Dianne: Thank you all for coming! We’re one week away from the start of the fair and two weeks away from the ball. So, what I’m asking you to do is make the most of today by handing out flyers around the city and continue doing so throughout the rest of the week. Once you run out, you can stop by the Student Association to pick up more.

Sofie: Dianne could run this school. Her planning and organizational skills are incredible! — Sofie comments to me, admiring all the exhausting work Dianne has been doing over the past few weeks.

And I couldn’t agree more.

Rose: You can say that again… — I add, in an even lower voice. — She could run a company. She could help us…

Sofie: I didn’t hear you!

Rose: No, nothing. It was just a thought…

Dianne: Today we’re going to split into three groups. The people responsible for the decorations will stay with me, so we can finish what’s left. Charlie will take the people who are going to distribute the flyers around the city. And Johana will take the group that will put up the posters around the school.

As soon as the tasks are assigned, everyone gathered in the gym disperses towards their respective group leaders.

For some reason, Joan switches to Charlie’s group. Without saying anything about it, after speaking to Dianne, she heads straight outside.

Joan: Dianne, I know I’m supposed to be working on the decorations, but would it be a problem if I went with Charlie’s group? Just for today! I have a few errands to run, and this way I can get a few things done.

Dianne: Of course, no problem.

Elizabeth, who was in Johana’s group, sneaks after Charlie’s group as soon as she notices the switch Joan has just made.

She is determined to find out whether Joan and Stella are, in fact, the same person.

So, she discreetly follows her to the parking lot.

Charlie’s group is already being briefed by him, getting ready to load the cars and head into the city centre.

Since Joan still doesn’t know which car she’ll be in, when she sees Charlie’s car with a few boxes waiting to be loaded, she starts putting them in the trunk while she waits for him.

Seeing her there, apparently a little disoriented, Elizabeth doesn’t miss the opportunity to approach her. Maybe she can finally clear up some of her doubts.

There is one thing Elizabeth is certain of: the person standing before her is almost a perfect copy of Stella.

Elizabeth: Here, let me help…

Joan: Thank you!

Elizabeth: You’re welcome! Joan, right?

Joan: Yes.

Elizabeth: I’m Elizabeth. It’s funny how we spend so much time walking the same halls and, suddenly, at times like these, it feels like so many new faces appear.

Joan: I suppose so, Elizabeth. But, there’s strength in numbers. When something needs to be done, everyone pitches in.

Elizabeth: That’s true!

Charlie: Thanks, girls! Get in, Joan. I’ll give you a ride into the city centre. Dianne already filled me in about your change of group.

Joan: Thanks, Charlie! Are you coming with us, Elizabeth?

Elizabeth: No, thanks. I have a ride.

Fascinated by the resemblance between Joan and Stella, Elizabeth steps away from the car to let them pass.

As she watches them drive away, she can’t help thinking about the question that keeps pounding in her head:

“How is it possible for two people to look so much alike?”

[...]

[S1Ep2.6 | Looking for answers]

[S1Ep2.4 | Set a goal and reach for it]

Comments

Popular Posts