Rose & Kat | S1Ep1.4 | Masquerade Ball

 PORTUGUÊS | ENGLISH   

[...]

Being prepared is one of the hardest things in life. In a second, everything can change, everything you thought was right can turn out to be wrong, and you’re not prepared for it. No matter how much you practise, no matter how much you plan, there are so many unexpected moments surrounding us, waiting for a moment of distraction to catch us off guard. And that’s when you ask yourself: “Wasn’t I prepared?!”

Both Dianne and Joan rarely allow themselves to be caught off guard by such moments. Which is why Dianne is surprised that she still hasn’t heard Joan talk about her plans for her birthday party. The difference between them is that Joan makes plans without actually making them. They are merely rough outlines of ideas to help her find her way along the path she wants to follow, rather than actual guidelines, as she puts it. Dianne, on the other hand, plans everything down to the smallest detail, even anticipating the unexpected. The devil is in the details, which is why she always has a plan “B” and “C”, in her words.

Joan’s parties are known for being lively, always with attention to detail and plenty of surprises in store. Receiving an invitation is something of an exclusive affair; usually, only family and her closest friends end up receiving one. She has a very long list of close friends! Her popularity at school is one of the reasons that list is so long. Those who don’t receive an invitation are still more than welcome at her party. She is generous and enjoys the attention she deserves.

I can already imagine the excitement when word gets around about the theme she has chosen for her birthday party this year – “Masquerade Ball!”



Hmm... A masquerade ball. It makes me dream of princesses and charming princes. Finding love on a magical night filled with mystery, our faces hidden behind beautiful masks, accompanied by the elegance of flowing, delicate gowns. Dancing a waltz with a stranger who exerts a certain hold over me using nothing but his gaze. Such a fascination, conveyed through the confidence with which he holds my waist, delicately yet firmly. I am so overwhelmed by emotion that I feel as though he is the one keeping me on my feet, that he is my pillar, and that in that moment there is only him and me...

But back to reality. I need to find a mask for Joan’s party. The girls want to go and buy new ones tomorrow, but I must have one somewhere from the costumes I wore for Carnival in previous years. And if I save on the outfit, there will be more left for the present I want to give her. I still have to think about what it will be, although I already have an idea of what it could be. It has to be fun, with bright colours — pink is a must, Joan loves pink — and feminine.

Joan is a very special friend, and my present has to be just as special.

With care, Rose


Comments

Popular Posts